One of the most important things you can do for your child's future is to make sure they attend school
every day and on time!
Your child’s regular and punctual attendance is a legal requirement under Section 444 of the Education Act 1996.
Striving for 100% attendance is the shared responsibility of pupils, parents, staff and governor’s. The best outcomes will be achieved by home and school working together and high attenders will be recognised and rewarded.
At New Moston Primary School we celebrate our HEROs - children who are Here, Everyday, Ready and On time.
If your child is not going to attend school parents/carers must: -
- Telephone school (0161 681 3321/1055) or email firstname.lastname@example.org on the first day of your child's absence to let us know why your child is not in school and when you expect that they will return.
- If your child has an appointment please send evidence of this to the email address or show the appointment card to the office before the appointment. If possible appointments should be booked for out of school hours.
- If your child is going to be absent for more than one day please keep in contact with school, letting us know when you expect your child will be ready to return.
All absences must be recorded by school every day. There are different records as follows : -
- Authorised absence - where a satisfactory explanation for the pupil's absence has been given, for example - illness, medical appointments (where evidence is shown), exceptional circumstances such as family bereavement when permission has been given by the Head Teacher.
- Unauthorised absence - where no satisfactory explanation has been given for a child's absence, for example - no contact made or reason given, staying off school due to someone else's illness, a pupil or family members birthday, "we slept in" - arriving at school after registers close will be recorded as an unauthorised absence.
Fixed Penalty Notices
Where a pupil records 5 sessions of unauthorised absence (2.5 days) school will issue a Penalty Notice Advisory Letter to each parent/carer. If any further unauthorised absences are recorded then a request is made to the Local Authority to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice Fine.
The Local Authorities fine for a Fixed Penalty Notice is £120 per parents, per child. This is reduced to £60 if paid within 21 days.
Further information on all of this information can be found in our attendance policy and/or parent leaflet, which is linked below. Guidance from the Local authority is also referenced below.